Thebruce1314's Reviews > Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory

Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: books-i-gots, historical-stuffs
Read from December 18, 2011 to June 06, 2012 — I own a copy

I was so excited about this book, having heard of the story of The Man Who Never Was in a history class. Unfortunately, it was marketed as a general interest book, which gives the impression that it should appeal to the masses: it does not. As several other reviews have pointed out, the book is very detail-heavy and I, for one, got bogged down in the sheer number of people involved, code names, counter-operations and side stories which detracted from the main story. This is a fascinating piece of WWII history, but I just didn't much enjoy the book. The best part was the post-script to the paperback edition, which delved into a few mistakes or oversights made in the original printing. I'm glad that I finally managed to finish it, but I doubt that I could ever slog through this a second time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation Mincemeat.