Danielle's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: modern-fiction
Read from February 21 to 29, 2012

It was such a pleasure to read this book. I was telling my husband this morning that it had been a long time since I read a modern fiction book that I really, truly enjoyed, and this book broke that long dry spell. It seems that so many modern fiction books go out of their way to be good, and the result tends to be messy or contrived. Some choose to be overly vulgar, which is another gripe I tend to have with modern fiction, and again contributes to the contrived nature of so many stories. What sets Obreht's book apart is her storytelling. She is so gifted in that basic writing essential, and the fact that her writing is beautiful only adds to the beauty of this book.

The Tiger's Wife is set in Eastern Europe, a first for me, and explores the relationship between a girl and her grandfather. Obreht alternates the story lines between the main character's life and her retelling of her grandfather's and how they converge and pull apart like many relationships. The chapters were a little long, which made it difficult to find an easy stopping point, but the writing flows wonderfully throughout. The only reason that I did not rate this book 5 stars was that I did not feel the urge to read it again, but, who knows. If I have another dry spell with modern fiction, I'll know where to find relief.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.