Bianca's Reviews > The Bitch Goddess Notebook

The Bitch Goddess Notebook by Martha O'Connor

May 09, 2011

liked it
Read from July 06 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy

This book just hooked itself onto my ribcage and squeezes itself in below my heart and wouldn't let go. It was a pretty intense ride, and a little bit scary too. Somehow, this book brought up feelings in me that were dangerous and slightly frightening - but perhaps that is just because I was a f-ed up little teenager myself five years ago and it just felt a little too familiar - and at the same time it was alluring and thrilling so that I couldn't put it down.
So I feel a little torn about this book.
The language really spoke to me, very powerful images and poetic phrasing at times - and I think that's one of the reasons why I felt so affected by it. First person narrative and my own familiarity with the themes combined with my slightly too active sense of imagination turned this into a beautiful trainwreck (you know what I mean - you see it happening and it's dreadful but you can't look away).
Equally torn about the ending (not going to spoil, read it for yourself and you'll know what I mean).

All in all (and ignoring the three spelling errors I picked out - that makes me sad..), a very powerful novel, very real, but I would perhaps have preferred a trigger warning or something (then again, that's personal I guess).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bitch Goddess Notebook.

07/06/2012 page 38