Jadaloves's Reviews > If You Were My Man

If You Were My Man by Francis Ray

May 09, 2011

Read in January, 2011

Francis Ray has a unique way of weaving a story together that draws you in and keeps you entertained. There is always something about the story that makes you want to know more. She managed to do that with this book as usual. Although the story was simple and predictable, it was still entertaining and engaging.

I love that Nathalyia is a strong woman who owns her own business. But despite this she is not a shrew or a hardened task master. Although she requires the best from her employees, she also cares deeply for others, and is willing to work and grind just as hard and long as they do. I love that she takes an interest in children with terminal illnesses particularly sickle cell. Since I was born with sickle cell myself, it was interesting to read about the situation in a fictional novel.

I also really like Rafael although he is very reminiscent of some of Ray’s other fictional leading men. I think it’s great that he is so close to his family of four brothers, and even has a great realtionship with his brother’s wives. He’s not above taking advice from his sister-in-law, or some teasing or hard lessons from his brothers and co-workers.

Ray keeps it interesting by having a trifling sister of Nathalyia’s appear and guilting her into helping her. She also throws is a little side story involving a couple of the supporting characters. But the side story did not overshadow or take away from the main story. As a matter of fact I will say that the side story actually enhanced the overall plot and story.

I only had a couple issues with the book. First, in almost every instance the book used the word through, it was misspelled though instead. I wonder how almost all of them were missed, but it was pretty distracting at times. Another issue, of which I’ve grown accustomed to when reading her books, is that sometimes the language and scenes were just a little bit too mushy for my taste. Other than that, still a great read. This is a nice easygoing book to read on a lazy summer day or if you’re in the mood for a little romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Were My Man.