Suzanne's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

May 08, 11

bookshelves: mysteries
Read in May, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Weird, I'd say this was my least favorite of Louise Penny's Gamache series as I really missed Three Pines and its cast of characters. Yet, I find myself giving 5 stars. This has been the most powerful, emotionally intense novel of the series. The weaving of the Paul Morin tragedy with the 3 other mysteries was very effective. I could not put this book down and found myself just as engrossed in the old, old mystery of de Champlain as with the current Augstin Renaud and Olivier Brulee mysteries. I just knew Olivier didn't kill the hermit! I just knew it! The solving of that mystery and the irony of Old Mundin killing his father was every bit as sorrowful as watching Rigeletto. Yet, I'll go to see Rigeletto again and again.

Ms. Penny's writing always inspires me to learn more, whether it's to read more poetry, to study the art of the totem pole, or now, to learn the true biography of Samuel de Champlain. I also have a burning desire to visit Quebec. I did visit as a very young child and have a vague memory of the Chateau Frontenac, but had no idea of the rich history of the city.

There were so many tender, painful yet beautiful, moments in the story. The one that made me cry in earnest was Ruth stating she had waited for Beauvoir before watching the video leaked on the internet, when most of the tragedy is revealed.

This book was a culmination of all the previous novels in the series and I absolutely cannot wait for the next book to be released in August!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.