Romancing the Book's Reviews > My One and Only

May 08, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, romance
Read in April, 2011

Reviewer: Valerie

Blurb: Divorce attorney Harper James can't catch a break. Bad enough that she runs into her ex-hubby, Nick, at her sister's destination wedding, but now, by a cruel twist of fate, she's being forced to make a cross-country road trip with him. And her almost-fiancé back at home is not likely to be sympathetic. Harper can't help that Nick has come blazing back into her life in all of his frustratingly appealing, gorgeous architect glory. But in Nick's eyes, Harper's always been the one. If they can only get it right this time, forever might be waiting -- just around the bend.

Review: If you like contemporary romance, then run to your nearest store or hop on your ereader to buy this one! I’d like to say it’s my favorite by this author but there is no such thing – every book she has written is a favorite because I can’t pick just one! Her writing is everything you want in a story: the chemistry between the characters is electric, the support characters leave you wanting to know more of their story, the ups and downs in the characters’ lives take you with them...just perfect!

Sometimes, with authors I really, really enjoy, I try extra hard NOT to read any blurb, jacket flap, or review before I read their latest book. I totally want to be surprised by the story without knowing anything at all. Right from the beginning, in this story, you’ll fall for Harper James. She’s a divorce lawyer doling out advice left and right. Her own personal experience involving marriage is once, at twenty-one, and she was divorced six months later. When she hears that her stepsister is marrying her ex-husband’s brother, after dating for a couple of weeks, she’s stunned. Then, we find out her personal love life is that she’s sort of involved with and sort of living with one hunky firefighter (the type from calendars) and she thinks it’s high time SHE proposes to him. Yes, the story had begun and I was totally engrossed to the point I stayed up into the wee hours reading.

Nick, THE ex-husband, has always loved Harper. He just doesn’t understand how he did anything to hurt their short marriage. Right. After her sister’s quickie wedding and stranded without a rental car, Harper takes a two day trip with Nick trying to get to an airport where she can fly back home to safety aka Mister Firefighter. As she travels, her beloved Coco is with her and helps her judge characters along the way. While they drive, Harper begins to explore why her adored mother left her and her father when she was thirteen, why her father’s current marriage is falling apart, and why she’s settling for a marriage of convenience. As she does, she and Nick will also be exploring what went wrong between two people so madly in love with each other all those years ago and what it takes to forgive past hurts, if that’s even possible, with new hurts popping up daily between them. You’ll laugh as she ducks the cans of Jhirmack her stepmother is always spraying, blush with embarrassment when the same stepmother asks HER for bedroom advice, and cry when she finds closure within herself regarding her own mother’s desertion. Where does it all end? I’m not telling! Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My One and Only.