Kari Wainwright's Reviews > Fallen Angels

Fallen Angels by Alice Duncan

Jun 09, 11

Read from May 08 to 22, 2011, read count: 1

Fallen Angels, the third Mercy Allcutt mystery, is set in the 1920’s Los Angeles area. I haven’t read the first two, but thought there must be previous stories, since there were a few references to past crimes solved.
Young Mercy has left her Boston Brahmin background and family, seeking to create a new life for herself in L.A. as secretary to P.I. Ernest (Ernie) Templeton. Living with her sister, Chloe, and brother-in-law, Harvey, the owner of a movie studio, she hasn’t cut all family ties. Still, she is highly dismayed when her rigid mother shows up on the west coast instead of back east where she belongs.
It doesn’t help Mercy’s familial relationships when she puts herself in danger trying to prove her boss’s innocence in the death of one of his clients, Mrs. Persephone Chalmers. Ernie, an ex-cop, is being investigated by another cop who hates him and wouldn’t mind being able to arrest him for murder. Factor in a religious group led by Sister Adelaide Burkhard Emmanuel that featured strongly in Mrs. Chalmers’ life and the mystery deepens.
This book is one where the setting becomes one of the characters, and I might add, one of the better ones. Mercy’s background is a strong feature as well, lending a rather formal tone to the book overall. It took a little time to get used to that aspect. As for Mercy, I liked her rebellious spirit and humor, but did find her Gosh Golly Darn attitude toward swearing a trifle cloying after a while.
Overall, a fun light read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen Angels.

05/10/2011 page 39