Kayla Cagan's Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

5020995
Jun 11, 11

Read from May 26 to June 11, 2011

I wish I had this book when I was ten years old, twenty years old, and thirty years old. Frankie Landau-Banks is a modern young heroine, fearless and funny and frank, whose best tools are her intellect and her passion. If she was a real person and not a character, I would want her to run for President. I would give this book to any young adult or advanced middle-grade reader who was searching for a comrade in pranking and outsmarting social panopticons.

This is a hard book to summarize without giving away the plot, but I will share this paragraph with you from page 337, which I think captures the book in a terrific way:

"She might, in fact, go crazy, as has happened to a a lot of people who break rules. Not the people who play at rebellion but really only solidify their already dominant positions in society-- as did Matthew and most of the other Bassets--but those who take some larger action that disrupts the social order. Who try to push through the doors that are usually closed to them. They do sometimes go crazy, these people, because they world is telling them not to want the things they want. It can seem saner to give up--but then one goes insane from giving up."

I consider The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks an essential primer for smart girls. Keep by your bedside, Ladies!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vanessa I can't wait to read this!!

message 2: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila Howland It is wonderful. As a side note, I am participating on Goodreads.