Belinda's Reviews > The Cookbook Collector

The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman

May 08, 11

Read in May, 2011

If you like Maeve Binchy, but you like your characters to be a bit more deep and introspective, this is a great book for you. Set in the US during the tech boom-and-bust of 1999-2002, the storyline follows two sisters who are on very different paths. The elder, Emily, is a 28-year-old CEO of a start-up on the brink of its IPO; the younger sister is Jess, a 23-year-old philosophy graduate student with a knack for dating the wrong guys. Surrounding them are brilliant -- and I do mean literally brilliant -- people. Math whizzes, engineering gurus, PhDs from MIT, rare book experts and MicroSoft millionaires make up the "supporting cast" of more than a dozen characters. Generally I find these large ensemble novels to be difficult to follow, but Goodman does a good job of keeping them clustered as "friends of Emily" or "friends of Jess", which makes each story line definitely fuller and more interesting.

I am puzzled why this is titled "The Cookbook Collector." The themes around the arc of the collector's storyline don't emerge until mid-way through the book, and they tie into some of the other characters' issues, but not enough for me to see a clear connection. Shrug. It's a minor quibble.

My other issue with this book is the arc involving a Jewish sect and how it relates back to the sisters. Interesting group of characters, but tied up too neatly in the novel's end for my taste.

Definitely a book you should add to your summer reading pile. I will be taking a look at Goodman's other books to see if her other work is on par with this one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cookbook Collector.