Lolly LKH's Reviews > The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine

The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina Bronsky

May 18, 11

bookshelves: favorites

Fantastic and I will say why... I read another review describing the main character Rosa as a battle-ax of a woman, apt description. Inside the mind of Rosa we see a woman controlling her world and everyone in it. "Stupid Sulfia"( her 17 year old daughter) gets pregnant and immediately Rosa resorts to home remedies to "fix the problem". Aminat is born, despite her grandmother's folkloric concoctions and soon becomes the apple of Rosa's eye. Aminat looks just like her grandmother sharing in her strong tartar genes much to Rosa's beaming delight. But with this adoration comes a lot of manipulation and control as Rosa always knows what's best and the rest of the world are idiots. Soon Aminat becomes a wild and defiant teen as they make their way to Germany on the back of a cook book writer who has fallen under Aminat's spell (her youthful allure). Everything soon falls apart. Aminat is disgusted by this German and Grandma has a plan. The story is so much more than this little description. The real gem in all of this is Rosa and her mad ways. I love that Bronsky didn't once slip when writing from Rosa's mind. You can really believe in Rosa as a character, and I know there are people I have known that are Rosa. She's scary and strong and yes... overbearing!!!! I loved this book. I laughed quite a bit and cringed because she could be so cold when it came to her own daughter, Sulfia. I also like that you get a raw version of a flawed person and how they justify their heinous actions. Really a good story.
I forgot to mention this story is based in Russia and the details of Russian life itself is worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine.