Anthony Sebastian's Reviews > The Beginnings of Western Science: The European Scientific Tradition in Philosophical, Religious, and Institutional Context, 600 B.C. to A.D. 1450

The Beginnings of Western Science by David C. Lindberg

The Beginnings of Western Science  The European Scientific Tradition in Philosophical, Religious, and Institutional Context, 600 B.C. to A.D. 1450 by David C. Lindberg

David C. Lindberg

Currently (08-May-2011) reading. I like this excerpt from Chapter 1:

"This brief foray into lexicography ought to remind us that many words, especially the most interesting ones, have multiple meanings that shift with the contexts of usage or the practices of specific linguistic communities. Every meaning of the term "science" discussed above is a convention accepted by a sizable group of people, who are unlikely to relinquish their favored usage without a fight. From which it follows that we have no choice but to accept a diverse set of meanings as legitimate and do our best to determine from the context of usage what the term "science" means on any specific occasion."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginnings of Western Science.