Kathryn's Reviews > Intertwined

Intertwined by Gena Showalter

May 08, 11

Okay, you've seen my one-star rating, and now is the point in time in which you would expect to read a brief summary before getting to my review.

Not gonna happen.

First of all, I began this book about a month ago. I've tried to block the horror out of my mind, so I can't fucking remember what happens. All I remember is the real shit (which there is a lot of). I swear, I felt like I should be picking this thing up in a wad of toilet paper and flushing it down the toilet, then going and yelling at my bff who asked me to read it.

Second, I didn't finish it. I got only a little more than one or two hundred pages in, and the only reason I even made it that far was because we had testing that week, and so I needed something to do for fifteen minutes after each one. Otherwise, it would've sat in a corner somewhere, unread for all eternity. If only, if only...

This. Book. Was. Terrible. Absolutely, positively terrible. The relationships were so fake and stupid that I wanted to jump onto the page and slap all of them across the face. The main character (I didn't even bother to remember his name) is in love with some chick he keeps seeing in one of his soul's visions (ooh, I'm gonna attack that issue here in a minute), and he's never even met her. Ever. And when he does meet her, it's an automatic "OMG you're the perfect girl I love you I love you, let me fuck you in a hotspring" kind of feeling. Ugh. Oh, and did I mention that this vision chick is a fucking vampire? Yeah. A vampire. WTF? Have we not had enough of that shit in the last couple years? Oh, and when he meets the female lead, he feels that he loves her, but in a brother/sister kind of way, and at the same time wants to run away from her. Choke me, please.

And then, the female lead in this book left me wishing that I hadn't been born a girl. She was so empty-headed, clueless, flat, boring, detestable, irritating, stupid, and absolutely the shittiest human being I have ever had the misfortune to read about. First of all, she has the same feelings for the male lead that he does for her: sibling-like love, yet deathly fear. Oh, and she can make the souls inside his head shut the fuck up for once, which is actually kinda sad because they are the most interesting characters in the whole damn story.

And then she meets this weird black wolf with green eyes that follows her around all the time, to and from school every day. At first she's afraid of it, but eventually she makes friends with it and all that shit. Okay, hint hint: he's a werewolf. Great. So we have vampires and werewolves in the same story. Fabulous. And then, major ew factor, she seems to start feeling romantic feelings for the thing! Okay, she doesn't know it's a werewolf, even though the rest of us do, yet the author seems to hint at a romance between them. Sick. Absolutely sick.

And then there is the main focus of the story: the souls inside hero-boy's head. There's four of them, and they all have a varied, absolutely ridiculous mix of powers. Time travel, necromancy, seeing the future, and possesion. I mean, combine that with the werewolves and vampires, and you have the most absolutely ridiculous book ever written.

All that, plus the terrible, detached writing that left me far from breathless and/or excited, this was an absolute failure. And, oh, look, it's the first in a series! Big surprise, considering I haven't read a single decent book in years that was a stand-alone. Good freaking God, can't we just limit the torture to one volume? Needless to say, I was sorely tempted to throw this novel at my BFF's head, as she was the one who asked me to read it and tell her about it. I hope to God she doesn't waste her time on it, like I was unfortunate enough to do. Nothing is worth putting yourself through that. Nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intertwined.