CorLostForWords's Reviews > Death Of A Lesser Man

Death Of A Lesser Man by Thomas Rendell Curran

May 13, 11

bookshelves: blog-tour, for-review, e-book
Read from May 11 to 12, 2011

Source: Received from publicist. Many thanks goes to Taryn for sending me a copy of this book for review. I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 4/5

Death of a Lesser Man tells the story of a man who, while out for a walk, ends up being shot and killed. Inspector Eric Stride is on the case to find out why Rose was killed. He will need to uncover every secret Rose has before things fall into place. Stride is an affable character, one who travels both the light and seedy sides of town looking for his man. All is not as it seems, and Stride will have to deal with treachery amongst even his own government as there are those who don't want to see Rose's killer or secrets brought to light.
Death of a Lesser Man is a historical mystery, and a good one at that. With many characters jumping off of the pages, and vivid recollections of the Great War, this is an absolutely fantastic read. Curran knows what he's talking about and brings history to life in this, the third installment in his Inspector Stride mystery series. It is not necessary to read the previous books in the series before picking up this one. Any information needed is readily available and is doled out throughout the book which keeps the reader up to speed without feeling like they have had a ton of information dumped on them. From the start I had an inkling of 'whodunit' but found that the ending surprised me when the killer and his or her reasonings were revealed.
Curran uses the rich history of Newfoundland to set the tone for the book, and we see how difficult life was for those who went to war and never returned, but also for those who came back. As Death of a Lesser Man states, many went in and came out different men. Their recollections make the history of Newfoundland and Newfoundland's place in the war stand out, giving the reader a history lesson without being overly verbose.
All in all, an extraordinary and richly detailed mystery, true to Newfoundland's history. Historical fans, as well as mystery fans are sure to enjoy Death of a Lesser Man as it brings the best of history and mystery together and combines them in a thoroughly realistic setting. Death of a Lesser Man is a captivating and thrilling read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Of A Lesser Man.