Lisa O.'s Reviews > Beyond the Highland Mist

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning

May 11, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, with-smut
Read from May 08 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

What did I think? I thought thank god I read the Fever series before this or I would have never picked it up and would have mocked anyone who recommended it to me.
There isn't much to say about this book except the fact that this is not the Karen Marie Moning I am used to. Yet, some things have actually acquired a certain clarity; she is certainly a veteran in writing hot steamy sex scenes and the Highlander series has been, for all intents and purposes, her training camp, leading to the Fever series.

I decided to read these books - yes, I was planning to read the whole thing - to fill in the gaps that Shadowfever left me with. Who is Adam Black? Where do the MacKeltars come from and what is their story?
I knew this was much more on the paranormal romance side, yet I did not expect it to be bordering on erotica.

Let me make an example taken right from page 1, the Prologue:

"They say his manhood at half-mast would make a stallion envious."

or imagine my shock when I read these words coming from the mysterious Adam Black's mouth (who is really none other than Puck/Robin Goodfellow, FYI), right on page 45:

"Is there a service I might perform for you, my fair queen? Perhaps you have something in need of a heated shaping and molding? Or perhaps I might reshape my steel lance in the heat of your forge, milady?"

From here on is an escalation of bodice ripping scenes and infuriating similies - woman/mare, woman/falcon to tame, woman/ whatever animal to mount comes to mind, and believe me, if I never hear the words silken nub or throbbing shaft ever again, it'll be too soon.

So yeah, this book was so not for me. I think I was hoping to find Jericho Barrons hidden somewhere in the pages, but alas, he appears to be unrepeatable.

Follow me at NightReader

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Highland Mist.

05/08/2011 "I must be really stressed out later as I seem to need books that require less and less participation of my brain in the process of reading" 3 comments
05/10/2011 "if the woman/mare or woman/falcon similies don't stop I'm going to throw this out of the window"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flannery (new)

Flannery I guess I won't be trying this:-/

Lisa O. do yourself a favor and keep your good memories with the Fever series

message 3: by Anthi (new)

Anthi Lisa O. wrote: "do yourself a favor and keep your good memories with the Fever series"

I haven't read the Highlander series but many fellow Goodreaders told me that it get's better after book #3.

Lisa O. Man, I'm not sure I can endure all that wetness and throbbing...

message 5: by Anthi (new)

Anthi Lisa O. wrote: "Man, I'm not sure I can endure all that wetness and throbbing..."

LMAO!! I think you should just skip the next 2 books and go straight to #4, that was the advice I was given, that and that I really need to read Adam's book who is supposed to be made of awsomness!

Lisa O. so which one is Adam's book? in this one Adam comes out really as the bad throbbing guy

message 7: by Anthi (new)

Anthi He's in book 6 and considering this is pnr there will be probaby some more throbbing LOL, from my experience (which isn't very big though) it's unavoidable in this genre.

message 8: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana LOL, Lisa. I tried reading one of these too. No, can't do.

Lisa O. Ужас

message 10: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole sorry to intrude but oh no I just bought this book 2 days ago! I havn't got round to it just yet but gosh oh no!!

Lisa O. Nicole wrote: "sorry to intrude but oh no I just bought this book 2 days ago! I havn't got round to it just yet but gosh oh no!!"

Nicole, you might like it, you should try it. I picked it up with certain expectations that unfortunately weren't met, but your opinion might be different!

message 12: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio LOL at those snippets.

I imagine that "Reshape my steel lance in the heat of your forge" is the perfect line to use whenever you don't want anything to do with someone. You make them leave and they actually feel good about it thinking that you're a creep for saying such things.

Way subtler than "it's not you, it's me."

message 13: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Lisa O. wrote: "Nicole wrote: "sorry to intrude but oh no I just bought this book 2 days ago! I havn't got round to it just yet but gosh oh no!!"

Nicole, you might like it, you should try it. I picked it up with ..."

I will still try it out but I absolutely love the Fever series and I have yet to read Shadowfever so my thinking is same author same great kind of story/writing right?!!

Sandra ROFL! You are too funny Lisa... :D

message 15: by Dija (new) - added it

Dija I was really looking forward to starting this series, but your review has definitely put me off for an indefinite period of time. Thanks for saving me from the wastage of time. :D

Margarita Delgado Dija wrote: "I was really looking forward to starting this series, but your review has definitely put me off for an indefinite period of time. Thanks for saving me from the wastage of time. :D"

I wouldn't let that stop you from reading, everyone has their different cup of tea. Remember, Highland mist was her first book so there will be weaknesses in her writing. If your looking for the highlanders in the Fever, skip the first two books. The rest are about the druids and a fae prince so they give good background and show how they are linked.