Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > The Third

The Third by Abel Keogh

Jul 11, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011, netgalley, 5-stars-in-2011
Read from June 24 to 25, 2011

The US in 2065 is a very different place. Strict regulations govern where you live, what you do, how much you consume, and how many children you can have. All in the name of saving the planet. Ransom and Teya have respectable jobs, and two kids, the legal limit. When Teya reveals she's pregnant, Ransom must find a way to save his family from the overzealous government and their rules. Can he do it without ripping apart the life they lead?

This was a very adult dystopian in all its gritty details. The world building was extraordinary. It was explained thoroughout the story, but it was fairly easy to understand, even in the very beginning. This is not a strange, foreign world that needed to be spelled out to readers. This is a world that is entirely realistic and possible within our future. It was created by taking planet-saving steps too far, to the point of endangering humankind.

I sympathized greatly with Ransom. He's a good guy who just wants to have a little more for his family. The choices he makes are all based on this. He is an easy man to understand, and to side with.

His wife Teya though... I did not like her. Her every action seemed to make a bad situation worse. Over and over I wanted to shake her and tell her to smarten up. I understand that her life is hard, but I did not agree with her choices and had no respect for them at all. I just didn't, and couldn't, like her.

Overall, this was an amazing read. It was serious, sad and depressing, but still very captivating. I was very impressed at the world created, and felt strongly for Ransom. I would highly recommend this book to everyone. I couldn't find any talk of a sequel, but if there is one coming, I'd love to read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third.