Jennifer's Reviews > Love in a Headscarf

Love in a Headscarf by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed

F_50x66
May 08, 11

Read in May, 2011

This book was recommended by owners of independent bookstores. I've been searching for it at the library for months, with no luck - finally bought the paperback and am so glad I did!

While a large portion of the book is about what it is like to be involved in seeking a husband for an arranged marriage (which was fascinating and had some very funny stories of her experiences), it also describes very eloquently her commitment to the Muslim faith. Raised by a loving, affirming family, who fully support her right to make her own choices, she has an extraordiny level of confidence in herself and is open about her struggles, dreams and learnings over the years. I learned after finishing the book that she has been named one of the top 100 most influential Mulim women in the UK - it came as no surprise to me. she gave me a very new and thoughtful insight into the Muslim faith and how it has been hijacked by the Taliban and others......... I learned a great deal from this book and highly recommend it.

It would be a great book for a bookclub, but don't wait for that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in a Headscarf.