Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Fruits Basket, Volume 01

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki Takaya

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: manga, children-young-adult, 2011
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

I first heard about Fruits Basket in high school when we watched part of the anime series in the Anime Club I was involved in. A few years ago, I discovered it was actually based on the manga, so I bought the first couple, and found I loved it! There are a total of 23 volumes- I only have the first 15 volumes, so I’ll definitely be reviewing the those. I’ll see if I can check out the remaining 8 from the library.

So onto Volume 1. We get introduced to Tohru, her two best friends, and several members of the Sohma family. For the first book of the series, it’s pretty good. I had some trouble with it the very first time I read it (I’ve read it a few times) because it was my first time reading a manga, so I wasn’t used to it, but I picked up on the flow of it pretty quickly.

I really don’t have any other thoughts on it, but it’s very cute, and pretty funny. Volume 1 hints at some darkness, which happens later on in the series. The artwork is pretty cool too- it’s a lot more detailed than I ever expected.

Rating:I give it a 5 out of 5. Even though I’ve read it a few times, sometimes it’s a little hard to follow what’s going on, though it’s more that it’s been a while since I’ve read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fruits Basket, Volume 01.