Tosh's Reviews > 1712 North Crescent Heights: Dennis Hopper Photographs 1962-1968

1712 North Crescent Heights by Dennis Hopper

Feb 29, 08

Recommended for: those who are interested in Los Angeles pop culture social history

This book of photos by Dennis Hopper is totally fascinating to me on so many levels. First of all his world is not a stranger to my 'world.' If you know "Semina Culture" some of the people have crossed between the two books.

"1712 North Crescent Heights" is sort of a mirror version of Semina Culture and visa versa in that Hopper was everywhere that was interesting. I remember him in those years with a camera at his side - and this book here is the result, and put together by Hopper's daughter - who did a fantastic job in editing the works.

I always felt Hopper was a great portrait photographer, and when you look at these images one feels a sense of famly or at the very least with very interesting cats and dolls.

More thoughts:

I spent the early evening looking at Dennis Hopper's "1712 North Crescent Heights" and thinking how it's the mirror image of 'Semina Culture.' Same time-frame and almost the same location and surely the same characters come through both books. When it first came out I barely noticed it - but now looking at it is a great photo book. Incredibly personal and for me quite moving.

The big difference between the two worlds is that Dennis was surrounded by the last bang of old Hollywood meeting new Hollywood. And along the path came a series of artists (mostly pop) and rock n' roll. My Dad's world consisted a little bit of that world but more of a hard drug, hard livin' and at times more wild. Not saying Dennis' world wasn't wild, but in a more 'money or high society sense. Actually he lived in the shadow of big money and the entertainment industry. When I think of Hopper I think of these photos - because that's my memory of him as a child. Always with a camera in his hand. I liked him then and I like him now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1712 North Crescent Heights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Cool stuff.