Michael's Reviews > A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Feb 28, 08

bookshelves: deadtree, philosophy, self-help, spirituality, all
Recommended to Michael by: Mom
Read in February, 2008

Practically: spot-on treatment of the ego as problem source. Lots of advice that would be beneficial for most people.

Philosophically: not rigorous, despite an implicit claim to be the next step following the path from Descartes through Sartre. Equivocal vocabulary lets him subtly draw questionable logical connections. Some metaphysical foundations are implicitly assumed. Notably missing is any treatment of ethics, or much in the way of implications at all. All in all, I am probably giving him too much credit considering one section is titled "Incontrovertible Proof of Immortality".

Stylistically: too verbose and repetitive. Since he does a remarkable job of making a coherent case, some anecdotes could go missing or are off-the-mark. Reads like a self-help book.

Spiritually: matches my own beliefs closely and in some cases explained myself to me. Reading such a verbose description of them provided me with tremendous food for thought. Tolle does not examine his premise that consciousness is inevitable, that it is woven into the fabric of the universe. Is this different from intelligent design? Finally, there wasn't much in the way of new ideas for me. I wish I was more knowledgable on the subject so I could tell what material here is distinct from a so-called "Eastern Spirituality 101 for Christians".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A New Earth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Randi Gerber How old are you? You must be an extremely intelllectual young man. Good for you. Keep reading these type of books.