Everett Darling's Reviews > A Very Easy Death

A Very Easy Death by Simone de Beauvoir

May 08, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read in May, 2011

Not just about the death of her Maman, but about her own death, which I imagine must have been as cathartic-if not anxiety inducing-to get off her chest as it was for me to read it. Title-wise, A Very Easy Death is a bit ironic since no death is easy, and unjustifiably unfair! but she´s also sincere, as de Beauvoir imagines slow and torturous deaths, which her mother didn´t really suffer through. But it´s honest and it comes from the heart as much as from the head and makes a worthy read for people who´ve lost a mom or are deeply concerned with their own deaths.
That the Goodread reviewers find this novel cold is surprising, I think somehow her honesty gets interpreted as detachment, but I still find it puzzling, apart from not leaving each page with her tear stains, I feel it could not be more from the heart. She is speaking from her relationship with her mom, her very personal feelings and her memories, which to call cold is a simplistic critique. As de Beauvoir says, "Each must manage as well as he can in the tumult of his feelings." And this was the way she managed through it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Very Easy Death.

10/26/2016 marked as: read