Mary's Reviews > French Milk

French Milk by Lucy Knisley

May 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: art, food, france, graphic-novel, memoir, non-fiction, travel, paris
Read from May 07 to 08, 2011

Generally a cute graphic-travellogue. The premise is that the author spends a few weeks in Paris with her mom while working on her final project for her undergraduate degree - which is essentially this book. The story moves along at a nice pace, includes quirky observations and does a nice job of balancing the grandiose history of Paris with contemporary references that keep it modern (the trip takes place in Dec 06 - Jan 07).

There is extensive mention of all the food the author and her mom eat - sometimes it felt like I was just reading their daily menus (foie gras sounds exotic the first time or two, but after a while I felt like it was the book's filler). It would have been nice if she fleshed out her observations of the places she goes in Paris - more detailed drawings of markets and monuments - but that's easy for me to say in hindsight (as a traveller, I know travelling is not as glamorous as it seems).

The aspect of the narrative I didn't connect with as much was the focus on the author's 22nd birthday. When I was 22, I felt similar things about myself, life and the world - but now that I'm a ways past 22, reading the diary of a younger person feels a bit tiresome. I think this book will resonate with those in their early 20's - and there's nothing wrong with that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Milk.

07/22/2016 marked as: read