Alex Fayle's Reviews > InterWorld

InterWorld by Neil Gaiman

May 08, 2011

Neil Gaiman is one of my never-fail artists. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve ever read, from his Sandman comics in the late 80s to his novels, movies and short stories. No wait. I lie. I couldn’t get through the Neverwhere miniseries (on TV), but everyone’s allowed one fail.

One of the many things he does well is collaborations. His Good Omens with Terry Pratchett is divine (pun intended). With InterWorld he works with Michael Reaves and together they created a book that lives up to expectations. What’s not to love about a book that starts with a boy who gets lost in his own house? It’s a multiverse story which is another love of mine. It has creepy evil magicians, big mistakes and making up for them, and a really powerful hero not knowing just how powerful he is.

My favorite books tend to have female leads and offer a lot of internalizing and rationalizing of actions and reactions. InterWorld, however, doesn’t go into all that introspective stuff. The main character, Joey, is a typical teenage boy that way. He acts and reacts without thinking about it much. In other words, Gaiman and Reaves do what all great science fiction and fantasy does – they put a real boy in an unreal situation and as readers we get a fun escape from our mundane world for a few hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read InterWorld.