Reut's Reviews > Cum Laude

Cum Laude by Cecily von Ziegesar

F_50x66
May 30, 11

Read from May 09 to 12, 2011

Original review at http://reutreads.wordpress.com/2011/0...

Cum Laude is by the same author who writes the Gossip Girl books, so I thought when I picked this up, it would be "Gossip Girl goes to college."

However, I had no idea that not only is Cum Laude not really a YA novel, it's a--get this-- satire of teenagers.

The only good thing I have to say about this book is that it has a great cover, not representative of the book but still, and the page layout is gorgeous. Okay, maybe not the only good thing.

The thing here is that because I am a young adult, I felt two things during reading this book. One was the need to defend myself. Shipley and company get into all these ridiculous situations and react in the STUPIDEST ways, and I really felt a bit angry with the author for portraying college teens in such a terrible way. "Hey, not all teens are like this, Cecily!"

Then, when I realized it was a satire, I felt a bit more comfortable. I was able to laugh at the ridiculousness, and then it kind of, sort of stopped being mean and got a bit funny.

The only thing I really need to criticize is the setting of the book. It's told in the 90's, and honestly, I didn't get that at all. I only *got it* when the characters talked about voting for Bill Clinton-in the middle of the book. Before, I had no idea. Why not make that clear, Cecily?

So you decide, dear readers. Did I react appropriately, or should I have known all along I was being made fun of, and gone along with it?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cum Laude.

05/09/2011 page 40