Khalia Hades's Reviews > Always the Vampire

4561988
Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from May 29 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy

Always the Vampire is the third book in this series by Nancy Haddock. The first two are La Vida Vampire and Last Vampire Standing. I haven't read the first two books yet so I dove into this novel head first without the benefit of the background information you get when reading a series. I though that Nancy Haddock did a good job of giving you the twitter version of what had happened in the previous novels. I was glad she did that since I'm a newbie to her series. Cesca is a vampire. Not only a vampire but a vampire princess. She lives in Florida and is a ghost tour guide. Oh yeah, and she also doesn't like the taste of smell of blood. I thought that this element was very unusual. How can you be a vampire and not like blood? However instead of blood, Cesca drinks a synthetic substance called Starbloods. Despite her revulsion to blood, Cesca has many other vamp like qualities but she still hasn't come into her full powers yet. Cesca struggles with everyday life as well as some supernatural obstacles. There a a sort of disease going around and effecting the local vampires called the Void. It's a mysterious substance they call the void. Cesca has to find a way to stop it and be a maid of honor at her best friends wedding. I though the story line was good. I mentioned before that I haven't read the first two novels, so I didn't have all the back story leading up to this one. I was able to follow the story line without getting lost or confused. Cesca is a spunky character. She's got fight and attitude and humor in her. She works together with her hottie boyfriend, Saber to try to solve the mystery of the Void. He's got a unique genetic makeup. He also works for the VPA (Vampire Protection Agency), has a serious attitude and is also infected with the Void. Cesca would do anything to save him, including working with Triton, her lost love who is also infected with the Void. I liked the characters in this novel. There are many unique and interesting characters that made me laugh. Cesca is a fantastic Maid of Honor that I think most women would love to have.
Overall I though this book was good. I'm going to go back and read the first two books though. I think it would make the story more enjoyable for me. However I think you could read this book without reading the previous books too. Like I said before Nancy Haddock gives you a short synopsis of what went down in the first two novels. This is a fun read and it left off with a bit of a cliff hanger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always the Vampire.