Martha☀'s Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: re-read, fiction
Read from May 22 to June 18, 2012

I remember being taught about symbolism through this novel way back in school but at the time I couldn't see it for myself. I thought that reading this as an adult would allow me to make those connections more easily.
This time round, I saw the symbolism of the conch, Piggy's glasses and the pig's head and I understood that the boys represented a breakdown in societal rule. When there are no rules and no governance, humans become savage, tribal and territorial with no concern beyond individual survival. However, I didn't see the link to sexuality through the killing of the sow. That is a stretch, to be sure.
Some reviewers had trouble reading this because of the graphic gore and the gruesome idea of children killing each other, but I think that Golding does well in exploring the way human's function. Warring countries are blinded by their own desires, stopping at nothing until a higher power steps in. Unfortunately, unlike children who eventually fall back under the guidance of adults, warring countries have no higher power to curb their brutality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.