Martha☀'s Reviews > Lord of the Flies

May 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: re-read, fiction
Read from May 22 to June 18, 2012

I remember being taught about symbolism through this novel way back in school but at the time I couldn't see it for myself. I thought that reading this as an adult would allow me to make those connections more easily.
This time round, I saw the symbolism of the conch, Piggy's glasses and the pig's head and I understood that the boys represented a breakdown in societal rule. When there are no rules and no governance, humans become savage, tribal and territorial with no concern beyond individual survival. However, I didn't see the link to sexuality through the killing of the sow. That is a stretch, to be sure.
Some reviewers had trouble reading this because of the graphic gore and the gruesome idea of children killing each other, but I think that Golding does well in exploring the way human's function. Warring countries are blinded by their own desires, stopping at nothing until a higher power steps in. Unfortunately, unlike children who eventually fall back under the guidance of adults, warring countries have no higher power to curb their brutality.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

08/06/2016 marked as: read