Friends of Linebaugh Library's Reviews > Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore

This story is about Catherine Grace Cline, the daughter of a preacher in a very small southern town (population 1923 depending on who was coming or going). From the time she was born, Catherine Grace knew she wanted to get out of Ringgold, Georgia. It was all she dreamed about her entire life. She and her sister, Martha Ann, lost their mother when Catherine Grace was six and Martha Ann, four. Their preacher father does his best with the girls, but they grow up knowing more about football than afternoon tea. Their neighbor, Gloria Jean is a woman of suspected loose morals – after all, she’s been married five times! – and a heart as big as the state of Georgia takes the girls under her wings to teach them what they need to know.

The story takes place mostly during the 1960’s. Catherine Grace was born in 1954 and we are treated to her life over the next eighteen years, but do not make the mistake of thinking it boring!! While reading the book, I laughed, I cried, I commiserated with Catherine Grace as she dealt with snobs, bullies, and her own temper.

On her eighteenth birthday, Catherine Grace finally gets her heart’s desire and leaves Ringgold for good. Or not. Due to unfortunate circumstances, she finds herself returning, but with a new perspective on life, love, and just what does really matter.

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen is an easy read, much a coming of age story, but also one of forgiveness and redemption. I loved the set-up of the book with it's four parts and chapters kind of like a bible, from the gospel according to...ending with redemption. It's never preachy but manages to be faith felt. I found myself laughing right out loud and was tickled to my soul. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up and a a Dilly Bar at the DQ. One of those chocolate dipped ice creams on a stick with the delightful curlicue is the perfect compliment to this book. It’s a great read!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen.