Vivian's Reviews > Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival

Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone by Dene Low

May 12, 11

bookshelves: children-s
Read in May, 2011

Something for the budding Jane-Austenette brimful of turn-of-the-twentieth century vernacular, sillyness, mystery, intrigue, friendship, scientific fantasy (an oxymoron?)-- all told with a flair for hyperbole. I kept visualizing this as a delightful movie--once I got past her Uncle's unfortunate transistion. A word of warning to the tweener: your vocabulary may swell a bit, if you stop to jot down unfamiliar words and later look them up.

Here is a running list of some of the vocabulary...
bellicosity, lorgnette, untuousness, tou-eh-mah-mah (this could be a made up word--it describes a species of butterfly), vile vial (loved that phrase), smithereens, puce, soporific, squabs, jurisprudence, avuncular, he who hesitates is lost (a phrase my father would often quote to us--it was fun to see it here), potent potion (some fun illiteration), family, friends, country (another nice phrase), Walter Reed (a name to look up--it was familiar to me, but why?), acerbically, Bedlam (something else to look up for more info & more hooks), nuncheon, spode, salubrious, effect (note to self--look up rule to remember when to use affect and effect).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone.