Sarah's Reviews > Imperfect Birds

Imperfect Birds by Anne Lamott

May 25, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from May 13 to 25, 2011

The story behind this book is strong, but the voice is all wrong. While the issues covered are ones that a number of teens deal with, the presentation felt too stiff for me. It was like the story was being written by someone who never dealt with these issues themselves and therefore had to rely heavily on research. Rather than coming across as genuine, Rosie’s story felt like an anti-drug presentation where the presenter was attempting to use “real life” stories to get their message heard. The narrator on the audio book didn’t help as she added a very whiny component to the story that I don’t think would have been as strong without her reading. Probably my biggest issue with the book though is Rosie and her mother. Rosie is supposed to be dealing with a drug addiction but the (former) alcoholic mother can’t tell that her daughter is cracked out on meth and cocaine? She’s always paranoid that she smells cigarette smoke or dope (the jargon in this book needs some serious revamping) or alcohol and yet Rosie never seems to distribute any signs of being high off her ass as far as her mother can tell? There’s just something off about the way that teen addiction is presented that made the novel fail in the believability department. The author seems to have a good writing style so maybe if she were writing about something she had a better ability to bring to life I would enjoy it more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Birds.