Katie's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

May 16, 11

bookshelves: audio, beta-hero, second-chance
Read from May 10 to 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book started out very frustrating for me. It is about two friends in a When Harry Met Sally type relationship. They never seem to be on the same page at the same time.

I almost didn't finish One Day, I listened to the audio and by disc 3 I was just thoroughly pissed off. It was blatantly obvious to me that this "romance" was written by a man (I'm really not a man hater, I promise. I'm just stereo typed in my thinking that men can't write good romance books) Then I went and read some reviews which contained massive spoilers (shame on me). The spoilers revealed the ending in which I knew at the time (only on disc 3) would leave me unsatisfied with this book. I decided to give it one more disc and after that make my final decision on finishing it. I did end up finishing it and in all honestly I enjoyed it. In a very rare demonstration I read One Date for the story itself and not the happily ever after ending.

Emma and Dex are extremely well developed characters. The biggest reason I had to continue with the book was Emma. She was a remarkable lady. Funny, smart, and so full of love, she was the kind of person I would like to have as my friend. She went through things in her life both good and bad that I myself have experienced and I loved her all the more for how she handled them. Dex was not a great guy but the way the author portrayed him he did an excellent job of developing and making Dex grow. He was selfish, vain and in a downward spiral throughout most of the book. His situation was described in a manner that was so true to life, I would have believed that One Day was based on a real story (it wasn't to my knowledge).

I couldn't give One Day 5 stars because I was really disappointed at the ending but the story leading up to it was excellent. I hold to my opinion that men cannot write a romance book with the same pull for me as a woman. But overall I guess One Day isn't a romance per say, more like romantic fiction and David Nicholls did write a very good book. Think Nicholas Sparks. This is a very similar style in everything including the ending only British.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie Not sure if I'm going to make it through this one. It's really bogging down towards the middle.

Katie Oh man, sometimes I could just kick myself. I am just finally starting to get into this book and my dumbass read a review with a spoiler of the ending. The ending SUCKS and now I don't even want to finish it.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Great review. I checked this one out from the library but returned it unread. Now that I've read your review I think I'll grab it again.

Katie I noticed this was a book that was being made into a movie, which was why I got it. The story looked interesting. I got my audio from the library too, it is definitely worth a library check out. I felt the time it took to read/listen to it was well worth it.