Sara's Reviews > Bumped

May 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, young-adult
Read from May 03 to 07, 2011

It's 2036, and a virus has led to most humans over the age of 18 being infertile, meaning that teens are expected to have babies for these couples to adopt. Certain traits in parents are especially prized, meaning that a teen with highly sought after DNA can go pro and enter a contract worth a lot of money. Melody is one such teen, and everything is going according to plan - she's all set to "bump" with a famous genetically-perfect mate - but then her identical twin sister, Harmony, from whom she was separated at birth, shows up from the religious community of Goodside, and things start veering off course for both girls.

I really liked the premise of this novel, and I could imagine a future like the one laid out in its pages - although I think 2036 is way too soon for a novel like this to be set. It's an interesting concept, having all adults unable to have children and the way that society develops in order to "reward" teens for procreating. However, while the setting was intriguing, the characters were not particularly deep. Chapters are told alternately from Harmony's and Melody's points of view, and although the two girls are outwardly different (Melody's all set to "pregg for profit", while Harmony spouts out religious sentiments against such action), their narration felt all too similar. I never got a good feel for either of the girls, and all the other characters felt just as flat.

The first part of the book felt like all backstory, with both Harmony and Melody rehashing how they came to meet each other for the first time, with lots of slang and references that didn't make sense until later. It failed to draw me in and kept me wondering when the real story would start. Both twins felt too one-dimensional; all Harmony can think of is religion, which involved spouting off cheesy lines and quoting the Bible - the only thing that made me able to tell the two apart - and it's done in a manner that's so over-the-top and forced, she doesn't sound like a real person. Actually, both twins felt like a representative of a movement or a cause, not real individuals.

A lot was left unexplained at the end of the book, and although I already knew I wasn't loving it, the cliffhanger ending instead of a real resolution made me heave an even bigger sigh. What's up with books that don't have an actual ending? I can't be the only one tired of this! Even when a sequel is planned, I want a book to feel like it has an ending, not that it's just one installment in an attempt to get me to buy the next book.

I did like parts of the book and think some good discussion topics could come out of this, but the book failed to take off as anything more than that. It was an okay read but not one I'd recommend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bumped.