Erika's Reviews > City of Heavenly Fire

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

This review and more can be found on Living for the Books

Finally, this prolonged series comes to an end and while I wish I could say that I'll really miss the characters, I probably won't. To be completely honest, I used to adore this series back when I first read it about four years ago, but I feel like it no longer has the same appeal as it once did. I'm pretty sure I only picked this book up out of habit

The biggest issue I had with this book was that the characters focus on the wrong things. The world is basically coming to an end and instead of caring about that, most of the characters seemed concerned with their love lives. Thank goodness there was no Clary and Jace drama, I don't think I could ever take more of that. Instead they're mostly happy for the book, even when they're hunting down Sebastian in the demon realms. They were kinda of sappy, but so were all the other characters. At least the characters were still sarcastic and more than once I laughed at the dialogue between the characters.

A couple characters do die, but for me it wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't shed a single tear for any of the characters that died in this book, but I was practically sobbing about the mentions of characters from The Infernal Devices. The deaths didn't really serve a purpose other than to kill off a couple of characters because it didn't really seem to move the plot forward.

The villain, Sebastian, was alright I guess. I didn't like him all that much because I thought he was strange. At first he wants to kill all the Shadowhunters and then his plans change a great deal when Clary, Jace, and all the others, find him in the demon realms. His plans for Clary are disturbing and he's basically an evil mastermind, but I never got the wow he's a great villain feeling. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it may be partially because I'm just so done with this series.

I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this book and I wasn't, but I still enjoyed it. I laughed, I cried, I rolled my eyes, I wanted to throw the book, but in the end it was a decent ending to a series that should have ended three books ago. If I hadn't given up on Shadowhunter books I might be tempted to pick up the next series because the new characters are kind of adorable, but I think for now I'm done with the Shadowhunter world.

Me when I found out the release date:

Just finished City of Lost Souls and now I have to wait 2 more YEARS before I can read this book! It's going to be torture I tell you! Pure TORTURE! At least Clockwork Princess is coming out in 2013 otherwise I think I might go insane from this wait!
I LOVE the title it just makes you want to read this even more. I mean who wouldn't want to read a book called City of Heavenly Fire?
On another note...if Magnus and Alec don't get back together someone is going to get hurt because they are awesome together!
I just thought of something...what if the world ends before this book comes out? WE WILL NEVER KNOW HOW THIS SERIES ENDS IF THE WORLD ENDS! How can they do this to me?

Edit: *clears throat* so um you have to understand that when I posted this I thought TMI series was the best thing since sliced bread. To be honest I probably thought that because I hadn't read that many books at that point so I had nothing to compare it to. Books 1-3 were good but after that I now think the series has gone downhill especially after the movie. I'll still read this book but to be honest I'm not as excited about it. 2 years is a long time and my taste in books has changed drastically since then. I'll keep the top part because it feels wrong to delete it. And this is why I'll never post a review of a book before it comes out.

Edit 2:
What even is that cover?
764 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Heavenly Fire.

06/24/2014 marked as: to-read-own
06/25/2014 marked as: currently-reading
06/25/2014 page 231
31.0% "To be honest I think I'm only reading this out of habit." 1 comment
06/25/2014 page 285
39.0% "Is it bad that I don't really care about the character's death even though I vaguely remember liking that character?" 4 comments
06/28/2014 page 479
66.0% "I still have so much to read and very little motivation" 5 comments
07/04/2014 page 725
100.0% "Finally done with this series! I cried only a little but that's only because I was not prepared for Tessa and Jem to talk about some of TID characters."
07/04/2014 marked as: read

Comments (showing 40-89)

message 89: by Sarina (new)

Sarina I know!!
Feel the same way.
aggg hav to wait i'm going to turn crazy soon. Glad I'm not alone

Erika I'm already crazy for this book! I mean TWO WHOLE YEARS is just way too long for any book and for this book that's like forever!

message 87: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz I completely agree with everything you said! And your graphics are PERFECT! Love it! :)

message 86: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Alchin i can't agree with you more. i have read all the books over and over and i finished the last one and i found out that i had to wait 2 WHOLE YEARS for the next one to come out.Aggggggg why can't it already be out :(

message 85: by Tess (new) - added it

Tess I love that graphic!! My thoughts exactly.

Erika At least we have Clockwork Princess next year...

message 83: by Joe (new)

Joe My daughter and wife are feeling the same way.

message 82: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby Gawerecki i totally agree with everything u just said!!!

message 81: by Nici (new) - added it

Nici I totally agree with you and @Mikayla as well. Why? Alec and Magnus are my favourite couple and favourite characters. *cry*

Emily I agree with ya i cant wait. I really do hope alec and mangus get back together there perfect

message 79: by Ivana (new) - added it

Ivana alec and magnus should totally be together. *crosses fingers in hope*

MissIntegrity yeah i definitely agree with that 100% and i seriously doubt the world is gonna end by then :P

message 77: by Ivana (new) - added it

Ivana Jasmine wrote: "yeah i definitely agree with that 100% and i seriously doubt the world is gonna end by then :P"

the world was supposed to end in 2000 right? and a while before that too. I guess whenever a new generation appears, the world's gonna end. Maybe it's a metaphor?

MissIntegrity Ivana wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "yeah i definitely agree with that 100% and i seriously doubt the world is gonna end by then :P"

i cant say but i really want that book!

message 75: by Roselin (new) - added it

Roselin Denis I love this series i seriously want to cry TWO whole years omg jaceeeee i miss you :(

message 74: by Gabriella (new) - added it

Gabriella I am just as upset.. But atleast we have clockwork princess and the shadowhunter codex to keep us busy.. Also on Cassandra Clares website there are a bunch of extras!!

message 73: by Roselin (new) - added it

Roselin Denis really omg i have to go see thanx Gabriella =)

message 72: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel It's coming out solace bc Cassandra Clare is helping to make the movie for City of Bones that comes out aug2013

message 71: by Ela (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ela I suggest public protest if Alec and Magnus do not get back together.

Erika Ela wrote: "I suggest public protest if Alec and Magnus do not get back together."

haha agreed!

Erika Fari wrote: "Magnus and Alec HAVE to get back together! I love this review XD"

Yes they do! Thanks :)

message 68: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva 3 alec and magnus have GOT to get back 2gether!!!!!!!

Erika Agreed!!!!!

message 66: by Kay (new)

Kay Taylor omg, i agree completely about both the wait AND alec and mangus. i literally just finished the book and hoped on to make sure there was another book coming out only to find 2014 staring me in the face~ i think imma cry more than when mangus told alec he loved him but it didn't change anything. QwQ

message 65: by [deleted user] (new)

omg! it would be terrible if the world ended! noooo! omg! no!

message 64: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Alec and Magnus have to get back together.Sherlock has to come out with a season 3.Then the world has permission to end.

message 63: by Rhyan (new) - added it

Rhyan I know!!!! I almost threw the book across the room, but it is precious so i did it mentally!!! All my friends feel the same way!!! Need it now!! Super upset about malec!!! And clockwork princess is still 6 months and.... 12(if you don't count the two hours of today!) days away!!!

message 62: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Coleen she has a point

message 61: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone know if this will be the last book in the series? I'm wondering because this series sounds SO epic and I usually won't start a series until its at least almost finished because I hate waiting. >.<

message 60: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm happy its the last one so that I can read the series now, but I probably won't be happy once I've fallen in love with the books. :( Lol.

message 59: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, thank you for answering my question Dear! :)

message 58: by [deleted user] (new)

in COLS it isnt made clear whether jace knows clary was nearly raped?

message 57: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria I know the feeling it got the four book box set as an early x-mas present and now I hear I am missing TWO BOOKS!I'm going insane. Huddle-in-a conner-rocking-back-and-forth that kind of crazy. How can they do this to US, to all readers out there.tear. Okay now I want 2014 to be here!!!!

message 56: by Jelena (new) - added it

Jelena Janjić Yeah... I kinda freaked out when I learned the publishing date.... arrrr...

message 55: by Shayna (new) - added it

Shayna Varadeaux Couldn't have said it better myself!

Illacay oh man i just finish book 5 thinking it was going to be the last, after reading the whole saga in a week, only to find out it has a epic cliffhanger and i got to wait 2 years...are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!

MissIntegrity ^ I wouldnt gice up it might be well worth your time

message 52: by Esme (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esme hey i havent even read city of fallen angels yet, and think of the pjo fandom. i dont wanna get into details or ill go crazy again. *crazy laugh* anyway... PERCABETH NOOOOOOO * uncontrolluble sobs and tears* I HATE YOU UNCLE RICK

message 51: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison Swayne Me too

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Martins haha! ela.. i agree completely! haha**

Alexis love the gif! I am going insane waiting but I have like 4 other series to read but still I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!!!!!

message 48: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Does anyone know when City of Heavenly Fire comes out? I don't think tis this year but I am not sure, anyone?

Erika Maria wrote: "Does anyone know when City of Heavenly Fire comes out? I don't think tis this year but I am not sure, anyone?"

Goodreads says May 27, 2014

message 46: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey i agree with every thing. Now the rating is less 4.60 gerrrrr.

message 45: by Hena (new)

Hena Ayisha Thank God I'm only in City of Fallen Angels now or else I would've gone crazy waiting for the book to come out!!!!

message 44: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy Rodriguez May 27, 2014!!! It's been torture!!! More months of torture to await...

message 43: by Kyuuto (new)

Kyuuto It's just like, "oh my gosh I'm so excited about this book!", and then at the end it's just like, "what's up with the rating?".

Hailey Do you think there will be any midnight premiere releases for this book?

message 41: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget I feel the same way I can't believe how long she makes us wait I'll probably explode in tears before it's out

Kayla Li Same, I totes agree. Btw, LOVE ur profile pic, Erika