Patrick Gibson's Reviews > You Can't Go Home Again

You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe

May 07, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-literature
Read in May, 2011

“Not a great novelist—but a great writer?” I’ll have to agree with that. I am re-reading both Wolfe masterpieces, since the first time I read them the words were wasted on my youth. Now I will let them be wasted on my middle age. Wolfe had courage, I’ll give him that—courage to attempt showing every ounce of his personal experience in the pure, naked, and sometimes brutal light of truth. This he did with a just hand toward both the extraordinary and the mundane alike. Extraordinary experiences, especially those well written, will be read by most any literate person they are presented to, but when an author plunges into the world of the mundane, the realistic and dry fabric of every-day reality, he looses audience. It is a shame too, for a fresh, intelligent, and honest perspective of the every-day experiences in life which are taken for granted can renew our appreciation for our own lives and cause us to look at what we may have been missing all this time; the infinite variability of experience that makes us individuals.

NOTE: I am using this comment for both ‘Go Home” and “Angel.” I just finished reading them back-to back and have lumped them together in my mind.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can't Go Home Again.