Tina's Reviews > What My Mother Doesn't Know

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: 2011, contemporary, verse, ya, romance
Read on July 03, 2011

Original post at One More Page

I heard about What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones from Angie, but since she wrote about it for Retro Friday, I didn't think it would be easily available here. Imagine my surprise when I spotted this during one of my book hunts. I shouldn't have bought much then, but I'm easily swayed.

What does Sophie's mother doesn't know? A lot, actually, especially the ones about her love life. Sophie is in high school and while she says she's not boy-crazy, she can't stop thinking about kissable lips or obsessing about her boyfriend Dylan. She also can't stop thinking about her online guy friend Chaz. And while we're at it, she also can't stop wondering about awkward, unpopular boy Murphy. There's a lot that Sophie's mother doesn't know, and Sonya Sones regales these things to us in this wonderful, easy-to-read novel in verse.

I'm really starting to like reading novels in verse. This is my third verse novel for the year, and they make for excellent in-between book. I read this in less than two hours, and it gave my mind an easy break after all the serious books I've been reading. Sophie is a good narrator, and I immediately warmed up to her. She's popular but she's nice, and not completely selfish. I liked her relationships with her friends and her family, especially her relationship with her mom, which I could kind of relate with. It wouldn't be entitled this without the mother aspect, right? While it's not as strong and dramatic as the mother aspect in A Girl Named Mister, I think it still packs a punch. I especially like this passage:
ELEVEN P.M.

There's this
real corny thing
that Channel 5 does every night
after the late movie,
just before the news comes on.

They flash this sign on the screen
that says:
"It's eleven p.m.
Do you know where
your children are?"

And just now,
when it came on,
I heard this little tap tap tap on the wall
coming from my mother's bedroom
and I tapped right back.

What My Mother Doesn't Know is sweet and charming. Despite the less words, it was still very eloquent. Don't be fooled by how the blurb makes the books so simple or shallow. Sonya Sones hit the nail on the head in portraying a teenage girl's preoccupations and experiences in first (second and third) loves. This is one of comfort reads that's quick, easy and just right. If Sonya Sones' work are all as comforting as this, then I'm definitely getting her other books. :)
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What My Mother Doesn't Know.

07/03/2011 page 259
100.0% "Cute :)"

message 1: by Tintin (new)

Tintin OMG...novel in verse. I don't know if I'll ever have guts/interest? to pick one up but if ever the fancy strikes I'll try out Sones.

Tina Tintin wrote: "OMG...novel in verse. I don't know if I'll ever have guts/interest? to pick one up but if ever the fancy strikes I'll try out Sones."

Hi Tintin! It's not very deep, but it's good. And it's a very quick read, so it's good for an in-between-er :)