Wendy's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Jul 01, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, authorsihavemet, fantasy, fiction, historical, romance, paranormal
Read from May 07 to July 01, 2011

Finally I've finished this! I got it from the e-book library in May, then had to return it (well, my loan expired and the e-book was no longer available on my device) and had to wait my turn to get it back, which happened, at length, this past week. Determined not to have to wait another round to finish it, I wolfed it down in spare moments over the last four days.

I know that time-travel romance is a popular thing, and that Scotland in a favoured place for heroines to travel to (or heroes to travel from) in that genre. I'm wondering if that's because of this book; if it's Diana Gabaldon who started the fashion for it. Because this book is wonderful. Meticulously researched (or so it seems to me), studded with memorable characters, incredible settings, and a plot that fairly romps along. No wonder this is such a popular series, if subsequent books are like this.

The author is a dab hand at that most writerly of maxims: "Make It Worse", because by heck, she certainly does that. 18th-century Scots were made of sterner stuff than modern folk, for sure. Or maybe he's from the planet Krypton. Either way, fwoar!

I'm going to be at a writer's conference with the author, later this year. Need to acquire a paper copy of this book and get her to sign it, for my "authors I have met" shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.