Knitme23's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

May 07, 2011

Read in May, 2011

I like Louise Penny: I encountered "Still Life" as an audiobook and suddenly she was EVERYWHERE. I really enjoy the Canada/Quebec info and atmosphere that Penny creates with her writing. Audiobook-wise, the reader truly makes 2/3 of the whole experience: he is Gamache, really, and as a result I find that the books I listen to I like better than the ones I read. Bury Your Dead is ornately plotted and told, with various levels of complexity that only occurred to me after I was done listening and was thinking about the story.

One gripe: Penny will pick a phrase, often one designed to shock, like "asshole/saint" in BYD, and will use and use and use it. . . . as if she doesn't trust her readers to understand or appreciate it the first time around. Ruth Zardo, the poet, has the same grating effect on me: we get that she's unpredictable and foul mouthed. Back off a bit. Sheesh. In BYD, the point of her asshole saint description got wearing and annoying.

However, overall, this was a really strong addition to the Gamache series.

NOTE: I think the reader I like is Ralph Cosham(?). The guy who read Still Life, at any rate. Accept no substitutes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.

message 1: by Mom (new)

Mom I, too, like Louise Penny and like her better in the hearing than the reading. This one was much stronger than her previous one about the guy (or woman, I forget) killed by the falling statue.