Dana's Reviews > The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

May 26, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, time-travel, fiction-historical, fantasy-scifi, speculative-steampunk-past
Read from May 23 to 25, 2011

I was left with three different feelings at the end of this story.

Relief: Occaisionally I will pick up a 'classic' that I manaaged to get through life without reading and think it really is garbage. I'm never sure if this is truly telling me that my taste sucks, or that people often are sheep. Regardless, this was one book that I definately enjoyed.

Contented: This book reinforced/reminded me that good writing is not equivalent to 'lots' of writing. This story did what more stories should do. It delivered a pertinent message while entertaining you. It was concise and short. It was short to the point of having very little, if any, character development. Yet, it was still strong and clear, showing that you need not 'gush'...just write.

Deja-vu: The topic of de-evolution (not what my brain was consciously calling it) has been on my mind lately in different forms. The main two forms I considered were gender in society, and physical change/evolution brought on by technology. Wells definately is addressing the latter of these and I found it disturbing in the extreme. Like global warming, we know it is damaging, yet we keep doing it. Wells' message, to me, was both beautiful and tragic. I enjoyed it immensely.

This book earned the place it holds as one of the 'origins' of SFF writing. Fortunately, you need not love, nor even tolerate SFF to enjoy this book. The concept of time travel has facinated man for ages and this is a wonderful example of what could be told simply but written with the fine, delicate, and tight weave of silk. An elegant story; simple and classy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Machine.