Hotavio's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

May 15, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from May 07 to 15, 2011

This bookk features a gathering of personalities in 19th century British literature thrown together on an initially vague mission. The result is an intriguing adventure to snatch a mineral in order to prevent the implosion of London. Moore's zany and often witty storytelling was a perfect match with O'Neill's detailed work (the expressions and more subtle background inticracies often say enough without the dialogue). While there is plenty here to offend contemporary sensibilities (the book is heavy with stereotypes), I write it off as an appropriate satire to a fascination and with exoticisms and cultural misperceptions in a time of European adventurism. The stressful interactions between the characters could be felt and understood and the sarcasm that they passed off on one another had me laughing at times.
The additional story featuring Quartermainn's "bad trip" had me further contemplating just what kind of adventurer he truly was. This "journey through time" further reinforced his role as the lovable junkie. Additions such as the Dorian Gray Paint-By-Numbers were fun and kept the comic from taking itself too seriously, while prompting further thought if it's reader chose to do a little digging or happened to be a literature buff.
While this book had a leg up with me in its late Vitorian setting, I also appreciated the author and the artist's ability to capture the arbitrary nature of the times, one which supposedly stuck to restraint and tradition while venturing off with idealism excited by the dawn of technological advances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1.