Doug Beatty's Reviews > Nightmare Inspector: Yumekui Kenbun, Vol. 1: Lost Things

Nightmare Inspector by Shin Mashiba

May 07, 11

bookshelves: manga
Read in May, 2011

I liked this series, I really did. It was based on this character who is able to eat your nightmares.. so if you had a nightmare you went to his tea house, and you told it to him. He would use a magic cane and would be able to enter your nightmare with you and investigate... many times he was able to find the problem and then could take the nightmare away from you.. often, each story had kind of a "twilight zone" feel to it because you found out what was causing the nightmare which could be intense guilt over something you had done, or worse, so even getting rid of the nightmare was not the solution. But good.

Then there was also a man in town that was in charge of fantasies and you could go to him to indulge in your fantasy, but if you did that, you would be trapped in a room and never would leave.

The reason that I have this four stars is because the final volumes got really confusing as to what was real, what was a nightmare and what was a fantasy, and involved another nightmare inspector, the previous on, that had vanished, and a strange suitcase that the current one was carrying around, and I started to lose the thread and was not sure what had even happened at the end. But up to about volume seven it is pretty easy to follow and pretty interesting. Not my favorite of what I read, but none the less worth reading.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmare Inspector.