Celia Barry's Reviews > The Last Child

The Last Child by John Hart

May 07, 11

Read in May, 2011

I bought this book on a whim, never having heard of the author or the book. WOW. What a page-turner. I couldn't put it down. Kept me up late at night and made me get up early in the morning and then, it even made me late for work. The ultimate "beach read" if you like thrillers. This author writes beautifully too so if you appreciate great descriptions and atmosphere, you'll enjoy this book. The story starts with a 13 year old boy, seemingly on the run, clearly neglected, possibly abused, but there's obviously more, much more to this precocious child. A year ago, his happy family was one people could easily envy - kind, hard-working dad in love with his beautiful wife, two great 12-year old kids (boy and girl, fraternal twins), but then the daughter disappears. The wife and husband argue, feel guilty, and then the husband abandons the wife and son. More guilt, more sorrow. The boy is tortured by his thoughts of what happened to his sister. So he searches for her. Then another child disappears. This book is packed with twists and turns.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Child.