Jennifer's Reviews > Frogs

Frogs by Nic Bishop

Feb 27, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, bulletinblueribbon, hornbookhonor, gryphonwinner, bluestem2011
Recommended to Jennifer by: Bulletin
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

Holy cow is this book amazing! The photographs are outstanding in their clarity and detail and all-around coolness - the picture of the glass frog on page 10 is a particular standout (you can see its insides!!). The captions clearly identify each frog while also providing interesting bits that add to or expand on the main text. The text hits kids right where they live; my favorite example: "Frogs...do not have rib bones. That is one reason they are so good at squeezing through small gaps, like between your fingers when you are trying to hold them." Each page has one sentence highlighted which could be used with minor alteration as a read-aloud text for audiences who don't have the attention to listen to the full-length text or are too young to browse the book themselves. All the basic report information, like habitat and diet, is here, but Bishop adds fascinating tidbits that make learning about frogs so much fun. While reading this, I kept turning to the people in the room with me and going "Did you know frogs' ears are like drums? And that indigenous Australians learned how to squeeze desert frogs to get a drink and then let the frogs go?! And the gastric brooding frog of Australia swallows her eggs so the tadpoles can grow in the safety of her stomach for about two months and then hiccups them out?!?" Bishop ends with an author's note about where the photographs of the frogs were taken and his enthusiasm for his subjects just shines off the page. A glossary of the more difficult terms, such as "indigenous peoples" and an index are also included. I love, love, love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frogs.