Boof's Reviews > The Tiger's Wife

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht

May 27, 11

bookshelves: arc-and-review-copies, eastern-europe, read-in-2011
Read from May 07 to 26, 2011

I wanted to like this book; I wanted to love it. I picked it up having seen mixed reviews but also being certain that it had all the ingredients for a book that I would not only enjoy but also leave a lasting impression on me. The opening chapter was wonderful and I settled down with my book looking forward to what was to come. I am disappointed then to report that I ended up abandoning this book about 3/4 of the way in as I found it becoming more and more of a struggle to keep picking it up and as a result it was taking me an age to read.

The first chapter tells of a young girl, Natalia, and her grangfather at one of their weekly visits to the zoo to see the tigers in an unamed Balkan country. I found this chapter enchanting and the relationship between the pair hinted at a strong bond and of secrets shared. However, the story then flipped twenty years forward when Natalia is a young doctor and finds out that her beloved grandfather has passed away, apparantly on his way to see her. I never felt engaged with Natalia – I didn’t warm to her or her story; she never felt three-dimensional to me.

Woven into the main body of the story are tales that her grandfather has told her during his life. One is about a Deathless Man (who is able to predict the deaths of others but can’t die himself) and the other is of the Tiger’s Wife. One of the reasons that I thought I would love this book is that there was a tiger in it: after reading Life of Pi I became obsessed with anything tigerish. The chapter where the tiger escapes from a bombed out zoo and makes his way north to the countryside and lives on a hill above a tiny village (where the grandfather grew up) is my favourite in the whole book. It is beautifully written and had me rivetted to find out what happened to it after that. Unfortunately with all the tooing and froing with present day and Natalia’s uninteresting story, I grew impatient and bored. I started to find the whole book too slow and the more I put off reading it the more I didn’t want to go back to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tiger's Wife.

05/08/2011
05/15/2011
81.0% "So sloooooooow...."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misha (new) - added it

Misha I can't wait read your thoughts on it! I have heard so many great things about the book and the author is just 26!!

message 2: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael On a completely different subject: Your profile photo is great :)

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it