Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Ashfall

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Sep 15, 11

Read from May 27 to 31, 2011

Sometimes it takes a major natural disaster to make you realize how important family is!

Just ask Alex. He is as happy as can be that he was left alone for a weekend. He didn’t want to go across the country to visit relatives. So, now he is by himself and loving life, right?

Not. See, when you are teen trying to act like an adult, sometimes you need to make adult decisions. Sometimes, those decisions are huge like fleeing for your life because a supervolcano has erupted. Sometimes those decisions include fighting (literally) for your life, deciding whom to trust, and figuring out your path in life.

Alex grows up in this book. However, don’t be mistaken that this is a “coming of age” story with lots of teenage angst and lots of tear jerking moments. It’s not. It has action, lots of bad people, a bit of good ole fashion violence, a really smart girl that puts Alex in his place, and a sweet romance (with the smart girl no less).

Besides being a fun, natural disaster survival book, it also has a great main character in Alex. He is so real. Sure he has some skills that a normal teen might not have- he can kick your ass with his karate skills (I mean Taekwando) but he really thinks like a normal teen. Remember, he is in this mess in the first place because he was tired of doing the normal, boring “family” stuff. Later, when he meets Darla (aka the smart girl), he is totally impressed with her mechanical skills (like the concept of a girl being able to do really cool mechanical things is a strange concept for a teen boy). When he wants to get up close and personal with Darla, well forget the supervolcano, because he is about to erupt if he doesn’t find condoms!

Overall

Fun, fun, fun. It is so refreshing to just love a book without it having some super serious plot and lots of angst. It is so refreshing to have a male protagonist that could easily be modeled after a real male teen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashfall.

05/27/2011
0.0% "I glanced at this book and that is all it took for me!"
05/28/2011
22.0% "Love this book. Alex is a teenage boy but also acts like a teenage boy in a really bad situation. I love how the author doesn't make Alex into a superhuman!"
05/29/2011
51.0% "This book is so bad for me. After a long ass day, I stayed up way too late reading it. One more chapter kept going and going. This is a survival story at its best. I missed these type of books!" 4 comments
05/29/2011
52.0% "I am such a baby. boohooing again."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steph Sinclair How are you liking this so far?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Stephanie wrote: "How are you liking this so far?"

I love it. A bit slow in the beginning but once Darla enters the story, it is great. Of course, I'm not thinking too hard on this one, just sitting back and enjoying it for what it is, a good YA survival story.

Steph Sinclair I agree, after Darla enters it's pretty good! I wasn't expecting it to be so realistic. That was a very nice surprise to see in a YA book.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Stephanie wrote: "I agree, after Darla enters it's pretty good! I wasn't expecting it to be so realistic. That was a very nice surprise to see in a YA book."

I'm not too sure about the science behind the supervolcano but the author makes it sound realistic!

Melissa Ah I really want to read this book.

Madeleine Ooh, sounds interesting! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Madeleine wrote: "Ooh, sounds interesting! :)"

I'm going to try and do my review today. I'm so exhausted but I'm going to try.

message 8: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Mullin I'm hard at work on the sequel, Ashen Winter. I hit 80,000 words on the first draft this weekend. Tanglewood has it on their publication schedule for fall 2012, but I'm doing my best to get it turned in early.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Mike wrote: "I'm hard at work on the sequel, Ashen Winter. I hit 80,000 words on the first draft this weekend. Tanglewood has it on their publication schedule for fall 2012, but I'm doing my best..."

Good luck! The ending, while not a full cliff hanger, did leave me wanting more!

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Great review, Michelle.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Great review, Michelle."

Thank you!

Ricky Glad to see you like it, too. Finishing this book will be my project for this week. And I am very much enjoying said project.