Emily's Reviews > Copper Sun

Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper

Mar 10, 13

Read in September, 2009

I didn't think I would like this book because I had to read it for one of my classes and I ended up loving it. I started out with it slowly and had to re-read the first couple of chapters but I later found myself reading large chunks of it at a time until I finished it. It was amazingly written for a woman who didn't actually experience the events that happen in the book, but she writes so clearly and true that it seems like you are on the journey with Polly and Amari. It details the lives of slaves and the torture they went through until the pursued their own freedom. I want to read other books by Draper, but I'm told this one is the best by far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Copper Sun.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary So you did not like it when you read it in my class, but like it now? Is the required aspect?
Are you teaching full time at Southport HS? How do you have the time to read so much, I am envious and glad you are still such an avid reader!
Mary McGann

Emily I didn't think I would like it since it was required reading, which has been typical for me in the past, (since I always want to read what I choose) but I found that not to be the case here.

I am not teaching full time at Southport HS, but subbing full time in the district of Perry Township. I spend a lot of time at Southport High and Middle.

I think what helps me to maintain such an avid reading schedule is the fact that I don't watch television at all. I don't have cable, but I always have a supply of library books readily available on my bed side table. It's very good to hear from you!