Rachel's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

May 10, 11

bookshelves: book-club, non-fiction
Read from May 06 to 10, 2011

Parenting styles no doubt have cultural influence. It takes courage (in a Western world) to say "we don't have video games/tv in our home." It's unusual for kids to do their own laundry, or to expect them to earn all of their allowance by performing chores, as opposed to issuing allowance as a part of daily living.

Recognizing that parenting is at least partly cultural, I believe there is one universal: if you want to start a cat fight, let one mother tell another that she's raising her children wrong. And this book does exactly that. Western parents raise self-indulgent, unprepared slacker kids. Chinese moms raise successful, respectful, talented wunderkinds who adore their parents, except when they rebel and despise their parents.

Despite the rebellion of her second child, there is no doubt that Chua believes the Chinese method is the best. I can't help but feel that -for Chua, at least- it's as much about the mother's ego as it is the kid's success.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.