Checkman's Reviews > Soft Apocalypse

Soft Apocalypse by Will McIntosh

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: a-disappointment, dystopian
Read from May 02 to 04, 2011, read count: Once

An interesting concept. As a student of history I understand that when Human societies have collapsed it takes awhile and it progresses slowly. Meanwhile people continue to live their lives remembering the "good old days" as everything gradually collapses around them.

Nobody really knows if they are living in such a time. Usually every generation, at some point, thinks that it is living in such a time. This time is ours. Just the way my parents viewed the 1970's as that decade was happening.

Well ,whatever the case might be, this novel starts out on an interesting premise. However ,like so many other dystopian stories, the writer soon reveals his political stance. It comes out in full force.

The good people are poor. They're educated. They're tolerant. They're racially diverse. They're wise and eventually they'll play a role in building a new and better society.

The bad people are rich. They consume resources and laugh at those who are less fortunate. They are bigots and ,for the most part, they are white. The corrupt and evil goverment officials are white. The military veterans who run rampant and rape and murder are mostly white. Do I have to go on?

The author's political and social beliefs come out in this story. In many ways this novel is just as bad as the right wing post apocalyptic novel. It might be better written, but it reminds me of Out Of The Ashes by William W. Johnstone. Not to mention many others.

Why do so many authors of dystopian and post apocalyptic novels feel the need to use the genres as their soapboxes? I understand that there is going to be some editorializing. After all it's the writer's fictional world. He or she can do with it what they want, but there are times when it becomes too heavy-handed.

As I said before it's an interesting concept, but the execution is flawed. Marred by the inability of the author to reign in his political opinions and world view.

Yes I consider myself to be a conservative. However I pride myself in having an open mind and have enjoyed many novels written by novelists who I don't necessarily agree with. But this novel is not one of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soft Apocalypse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonah (new)

Jonah Thanks for saving me some time.

message 2: by Checkman (last edited Oct 24, 2011 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Checkman Jonah wrote: "Thanks for saving me some time."

Glad to have been a help.

Zeke Chase I myself am a liberal, though open minded as are you, but I do agree that this reads like the apocalyptic version of "Glee". He's got *every* liberal fear of bad things to come in there (the one exception being Republican theocracy - but I haven't made it to the end yet...).

Thanks for your review.

Checkman Zeke wrote: "I myself am a liberal, though open minded as are you, but I do agree that this reads like the apocalyptic version of "Glee". He's got *every* liberal fear of bad things to come in there (the one ex..."

I was actually sorry to find that I didn't like the novel. I had high hopes.

Zeke Chase I'm somewhat enjoying it, but it does seem to drone on too long about Jasper's personal problems.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie Thanks for the review. I prefer fair characterizations. Too bad it's lacking. Thanks again!

message 7: by Checkman (last edited Apr 17, 2013 08:45AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Checkman Julie wrote: "Thanks for the review. I prefer fair characterizations. Too bad it's lacking. Thanks again!"

I find as I get older I have less and less patience with overly political novels - regardless of what end of the political spectrun they are at. It just gets in the way of the story. Actually the political stuff overwhelms the story until all you're doing is reading a political tract. If I want that I'll just surf the Internet or watch the various cable news channels.