Penny's Reviews > Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy, and the West

Reconciliation by Benazir Bhutto

Apr 08, 08

bookshelves: contemporary-works, non-fiction
Read in April, 2008

Anyone who knew I was reading Reconciliation, knew that this book was a tough read for me. First, I rarely read works of non-fiction, and second, I didn't know much about the Islamic world/history, though I was vastly curious. But there was something about Benazir Bhutto that really drew me in. After she was killed, I wanted to know more about her--this strong female figure, in a male dominated Muslim world.

I may not agree with everything she said but this book has done a few things for me:

1. It has taught me the different sects of Islam and the religious differences between Sunnis and Shias, which seemed so confusing when you turn on the television.

2. It made Pakistani history digestible and showed how certain events shape the world that we live in today.

3. It made me understand the Islamic perspective for someone who really has a Western point of view.

4. It made me feel so grateful to be able to live in a free country, where I'll be treated with equality (for the most part ;)).

This book contains a multitude of information and to capture it in a few bullets doesn't seem to do it justice. I was frustrated that I was taking so long to read it but I'm glad I took the time and care to read the paragraphs, the chapters. I think the world has lost a great visionary, but I think her work, her political party, and her democratic dreams will live on and I hope to see one day that her aspirations come to fruition.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reconciliation.

Anthony Keys I agree whole heartedly. I am about half way through. I respect other opinions and the book is well written. It is a succinct history lesson of the region.