Marissa's Reviews > The Waves

The Waves by Virginia Woolf

Jun 04, 2007

Read in December, 2002

I've read this book several times. The first attempt my mind drifted off half the time because there is no plot (which is perfectly fine). I wandered so much that I had to reread the final chapter but by the time I got to the last two pages I burst into tears. It vouches for the power of a book when the reader can be so moved by the ending after only truly paying attention to the final chapter.
I love what The Waves says about being human, being flawed, the importance of small events, small moments, small thoughts, how they can infest your life, the evolution of a human being, what people mean to each other, how they try to interweave, the courage needed to live, the collective human experience. It took a second read for me to put the whole book together and have every page count (and every page does matter). This is my favorite novel (if you can really call it a novel) but I would understand not everyone loving it as I do. It may be a more acquired taste but give it a try, and another.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waves.

03/13/2016 marked as: read