Romancing the Book's Reviews > Sunny Days, Moonlit Nights

May 06, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, romance
Read in April, 2011

Reviewer: Valerie

Blurb: CAROLINE DAVIS WHITE IS A WELL-KNOWN artist married to a philandering multi-millionaire. She has everything any woman could want except love. Brad refuses to give her the divorce she so desperately wants. With no money, family, or friends, she flees to the small community in Catskill Mountains where she spent her summers as a child.

Mike Foster, Caroline’s childhood crush grown up, achieved success and made more money than he could ever have dreamed, but it destroyed his marriage and cost him his son. He is wary of women who find his wallet more attractive than his good looks.

Caroline reconnects with the life she had and friends from long ago. Mike steps out of her teenage dreams into her life again, looking more handsome and tempting than ever. She knew who he was then…but who is he now?

Source: eBook from author

Review: When I read romance, I want to really know the characters, feel their pain and joy, travel with them, and when the story is done I want to feel satisfied that all the loose ends are tied up. Because of those expectations, short books are disappointing to me. I don’t feel that the characters get to really develop and grow if the story isn’t long enough...enter Sunny Days, Moonlit Nights. This book was a short, easy read that reminded me of some of the shorter books put out as series. In fact, the author mentions she liked the characters enough that she might write more about them in sequels. With all that said, let’s explore the story...
Caroline Davis (Sunny) has money, that’s not the problem. She’s gorgeous, and smart, and funny. Her main problem is that her husband has decided she needs companionship. Yes, SHE needs companionship in the form of another man. This shocking revelation leads her to have the strength to leave the sprawling mansion and grounds she doesn’t refer to as home. She packs up her clothes, her dog, her painting supplies, and leaves for the great unknown.

The great unknown turns out to be a summer cabin her she inherited that needs work. Enter older, smart, ultra-rich, hunky former childhood friend, Mike. While the sparks do indeed fly between these two, I found the story a bit predictable. Girl hides from rich hubby. Childhood flame is interested in her. She is morally torn.

Anyone who has had to leave a marriage with just the clothes on their back will relate to the feelings she has regarding being “free” even though she isn’t yet divorced and her joy in making small daily decisions on her own. Even though he’s rich, Mike doesn’t just sit around and he spends Friday nights singing and playing with his band. The scenes where they sing together was a nice change of pace as she plays cat-and-mouse with her soon-to-be ex-husband in the form of phone calls, lawyer calls, and hiding from private eyes.
As you read this story, you may find yourself more attracted to Mike as a character than Sunny, I know I did. I felt that he was pulled along on her roller coaster ride knowing she had something to tell him but didn’t realize what it was until he was a goner. I also liked the references and scenes with her dog and wished for more of them (avid dog lover here).

Quote: “I have to take care of myself, on my own for once, Mike. You can’t do it for me this
time.” she said, touching his shoulder then resting her palm on his chest. Page 105

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunny Days, Moonlit Nights.