Michele's Reviews > Elizabeth I

Aug 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Read from May 06 to August 23, 2011 — I own a copy

I chose to listen to the unabridged audiobook of this newest Margaret George historical fiction novel about the latter half of the reign of Elizabeth I and it was, perhaps, not the best choice. Although the narrator did a fine job, the novel is so buried in every conceivable historical detail that it bogs down the story. If one was reading the actual novel, it would have been possible to better "skim" when needed (such as the 20 minute descriptions of some obscure courtiers funeral, of which there are many). By the time the mundane details are laid out, one forgets where we actually were in the storyline.

But there are some very, very good things about this novel, chief amongst them the alternating first person POVs between Elizabeth I and her romantic rival and cousin, Lettice Knollys. Lettice, of course, married Elizabeth's favorite courtier, Robert Dudley and was mother to Robert Devereux, who Elizabeth would later have executed for treason.

The entire novel focuses on Elizabeth's later years, during which Robert Devereux rose in her favor and then later sunk into rebellion. These moments of the novel are the most compelling, along with the fictional relationship between Lettice and Shakespeare himself.

I do recommend the novel (especially for you Elizabeth fans out there!), but I recommend in the paper version. I think you'll get much more enjoyment out of it than with the audio version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth I.

05/08/2011 page 1
05/22/2011 page 7
27.0% 6 comments
06/21/2011 page 9
35.0% 4 comments
06/29/2011 page 12
46.0% "Really, it's a lovely novel, but holy cow.....is the audio EVER going to end?" 5 comments
07/31/2011 page 14
54.0% "on and on and on and on and on......it's the never-ending audio book." 6 comments
08/01/2011 page 18
69.0% "i think i can, i think i can, i think i can....OMG, did we really just spend 20 minutes on some minor character's funeral and I can't even remember how he fit into the story in the first place? Please, back to Essex and his mom...far more interesting."
08/02/2011 page 20
77.0% "Another funeral scene. Another 20 minutes wasted...."
08/15/2011 page 24
92.0% "if I don't finish this damned thing in the next two days, I'm going to hang myself." 6 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Bruno can't wait to see what you think Michele!

Michele I'm listening to the audiobook so it's slow going for me....but so far, about an hour into it, I'm liking it alot. You finished it, right? Did you like it?

Orsolya Are you done with this, yet?

Michele Lol, I've only got about 2 hrs left, thank goodness!

Orsolya Yay!!! You are almost at the finish line!

Orsolya Congrats on finally finishing! I'm not looking forward to these 20 min explanations of funerals for "unknown courtiers", but the rest sounds good!