Kirsten's Reviews > Pitch Dark

Pitch Dark by Steven Sidor

May 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, own, reviewer-book, horror-and-horror-ish
Read in April, 2011

This was an ARC received through GoodReads.
I read this book at a gallop, barely coming up for air, and even though I found it flawed, I can't deny that it held my attention. I didn't know anything about Sidor or the book going in, so I was a little surprised to find that it was a horror novel with strong supernatural elements, rather than simply a thriller.
The set-up for this novel is great. Vera Coffey is a young woman who's made some bad decisions in her life, but possibly none so bad as when she impulsively stole a mysterious artifact from her boyfriend, who in his turn had stolen it in return for payment from a mysterious organization known as The Pitch. Now Vera is on the run: she's not sure where she's going, she just knows she can't let The Pitch catch her.
Meanwhile, Wyatt Larkin, a motel owner in northern Minnesota, is dealing with his own personal horror. Years ago he was a police officer, until he and his wife Opal were injured in a spree shooting. Wyatt lost his eye, and Opal.. well, Opal didn't lose her baby or her life, but she has never recovered entirely, and these days her mind wanders an awful lot. Wyatt fears she's going to fall off the edge of crazy one of these days. And then there's their son, Adam, who's a good kid, but who's heading home for his first Christmas break from college, and has to break the news that he's in danger of losing his scholarship. Little do any of them know that the young woman who's about to check into the motel is bringing a whole host of horrors to their doorstep.

This was creepy and good fun, although as I said, I found it flawed. It seemed like the plot started to run out of steam about 3/4 of the way through. It had the feel of something that might have made a better film or comic book than novel -- a lot of details were blurred or glossed-over in ways that I would probably find acceptable in a more visual medium, but found annoying in a novel. Still, it's a diverting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pitch Dark.